3.5 stars, gladly rounded up because the positives outweigh the negatives. (oh, wow, Anna, now that’s a wonderfully crafted sentence). As much as I expected to love Get a Life, Chloe Brown, in the end I had too many grips with it to call it a favorite. The positives however feel so important to me that I will forever recommend it. Perplexed? Here. Let me explain.
Let’s start by talking about what made my day, that I called:
- The disability rep. As someone who has been struggling with invisible chronic pain (very similar to fibromialgia, that Chloe has), reading about Chloe made me want to laugh-cry (yes, that’s a thing, be quiet) so much. I’m so grateful that this book is out there, being read by so many people. Truly means the world.
- Chloe fucking Brown. She’s wonderful and I’m in awe of her. I want to be her when I grow up (this is where we’re going to politely ignore that I’m an adult already, shh).
- Chloe’s family. I want to see more of them, and good news!!! The whole series is dedicated to them!! I’m so happy I could cry 😭
Unfortunately, I wasn’t entirely sold on several parts, which would be:
- Okay, hear me out: the sex scenes really didn’t do it for me, but rather, they put me out. I do enjoy sex scenes in romance novels sometimes, but here, it just didn’t work for some reason. I had to skim them? I cringed at some parts? I don’t know, y’all. I’m truly in the minority in this so you might want to ignore me.
- Don’t hate me, but Red? Those emails were truly brilliant but after a while my interest just… wavered. I don’t know. It’s not rational. I mean, he does seem like a good guy!! He’s really nice and stuff! Oh my god, see what I mean??? I just didn’t love him but rather, I felt… okay about him. But I expect to feel more than pleased indifference when it comes to love interests in romance novels. I want to fall in love along the heroine and it just didn’t happen.
I would still recommend Get a Life, Chloe Brown to everyone who like romance novels and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next books of the series!